Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cream Cheese Chicken (Slow Cooker)

So this is a pretty common recipe but I've tried a couple and this one is my favorite. This actually isn't my favorite meal but my husband and son love it and it's one of their favorites. Plus, it's super easy and the slow cooker can't be beat for ease. The recipe calls for frozen chicken breasts but I have used fresh chicken breasts and just shortened the cooking time. Also, I've included the cooking time from the original recipe but my slow cooker always cooks faster than the recipe calls for by one or two hours. Your slow cooker might also cook this faster so keep that in mind.  I often use 1/3 less-fat cream cheese for the sake of my caloric intake and it's worked well.

Ingredients:
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup chicken broth
2-3 frozen chicken breasts
1 packet of Italian salad dressing mix
2 cloves minced garlic
1 8 oz. block of cream cheese, cut into chunks
pasta of your choice

Put everything except the cream cheese into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily. Remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and add the cream cheese. Switch the slow cooker to high and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until the cream cheese is fully melted. Prepare pasta as directed on package. Serve over pasta.

No comments: