Thursday, June 4, 2009

Low-Fat Strawberry-Cinnamon Muffins



I really wanted to make some kind of strawberry muffin. Out of three recipes that I tried, I had a winner again from Cooking Light. In my opinion, these are AMAZING when warm and just okay when cooled but that is the case 90% of the time with muffins. But, that doesn't stop my husband from loving them a day later.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vanilla fat-free yogurt
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup strawberry jam
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preparation
Preheat oven to 375º.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Make a well in center of flour mixture. Combine yogurt, butter, milk, and egg in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

Place muffin liners in muffin tin (On my second batch, I used foil liners that had a paper liner too which works better than just paper liners). Spoon 1 tablespoon batter into each liner. Top each with 1 teaspoon jam. Top evenly with the remaining batter. Combine 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375º for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan; place on a wire rack.

7 comments:

Netti said...

These sound delightful. Me and Jesse might just have to try them out. (I say me and Jesse because he will probably be the one to cook them)

JoAnna said...

ummm. Are you serious? Did you say Low-fat? Strawberry? Cinnamon? Muffin? I cannot think of a better combo. Truly. Well, maybe... Jo, Anna, Lisa, St George, dr.mario. And the muffins there and we all win!!

Jessie said...

Holy crap those sound good. I'll have to try them soon. If I'm not a jam-lover, do you think fresh strawberries would work? Or would they get weird in the baking process...? Maybe I could put them on AFTER baking. Mmmmmmmm.

Marli said...

These sound and look totally yummy!!

Anna said...

Jo - you said it, no better combo!

Jessie - I had the same thought about using fresh strawberries. But, I opted to go with the jam. Using fresh likely wouldn't be as sweet or have the same consistency. The fresh would probably still taste okay. If you did use them, I would make sure to chop the strawberries into very small pieces.

Anonymous said...

These sound delightful,
Good taste.
Thanks for posting.
___________________
Vince
Best place for your complete Internet marketing

Jessie said...

OK, so it's a year later, but I finally tried these. I actually stuck fresh raspberries in them, and it was SO so good.

Thanks again!